SAFFRON or KESAR :
Botanical Name :
Saffron is a small, autumn bulbous, perennial plant that belongs to the member of the family of Iridaceae in the genus; Crocus. Each flower features perianth consisting of a stalk, known as “style,” connecting to three “stigmas” or threads to the rest of the plant. Once the stigmata have been separated from the plant, they are dried to preserve their color and flavor. Saffron has a distinct flavor that comes from its chemical compounds such as picrocrocin, safranal and crocin, which gives saffron its golden-yellow hue with sweet smell and bitter taste. It takes 75,000 saffron flowers to make one pound of saffron spice..
Common Name :
1) The saffron is mixed with honey or milk to improve the complexion of the skin. The hydrating properties of honey and healing properties of saffron will improve the blood circulation and enhances the skin glow.
2) To brighten the skin tone and removing tanning, saffron is added to chandanor cream to brighten the skin tone.
3) As a part of the treatment of lack of erectile dysfunction, libido and impotency, saffron is the source which can be added to milk or sugar candy.
4) Regular consumption of saffron with milk will boost memory and immunity power.
5) The paste of saffron and turmeric is applied on wounds and pustules to provide an antiseptic environment to protect against infection.
6) Saffron is widely being used in many desserts, cuisines and baked items.
1) The chief component of saffron –crocin, acts as immuno-modulators and promotes cell growth, cell repairand prevents cancer. Also it regulates cholesterol levels, making it an extremely versatile spice for the wellbeing of the heart.
2) Saffron is useful in the treatment of age related mental impairment and used in the treatment of Parkinson’s disease, memory loss and inflammation. Saffron regulates neurochemicals such as dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine which help reduce symptoms in mild to moderate depression.
3) Due to the property of saffron, to influence neurotransmitter serotonin, it helps in Premenstrual Syndrome which is caused by various hormones. It also regulates mood and behavior which is usually whacked before periods and controls the loss of blood during menstrual cycle.
4) Saffron is a powerful aphrodisiac for women due to its impact on the endocrine glands by improving androgen levels and has the capacity to increase vitality even in older men. Most importantly, it helps in erectile dysfunction, prevent infertility and premature ejaculation.
5) Saffron is also believed to improve blood flow to the follicles, allowing greater delivery of nutrients and oxygen to the hair follicle and helps prevent hair from falling by strengthening each strand from root to tip. Saffron mixed in liquorice and milk makes an effective topical application to induce hair growth in alopecia.
6) Saffron also whitens the skin, prevent acne, and fade scars, dark spots, and other skin blemishes. Saffron also has vitamin B2 which helps to heal chapped lips.
7) Saffron also has the quality to act as an anti-inflammatory substance as well as a stimulant. Both qualities are beneficial against asthma. Also, it can cure common cold & cough too.
8) Saffron also has antiseptic and sedative qualities, making it ideal for teething babies and for those who need to improve their sleeping patterns.
9) Eye health benefits of saffron include preventing Macular degeneration of the retina which is usually an age related issue.
10) Saffron employed as a flavoring and coloring base in both food and drinks in the Mediterranean and Asian cuisines. Popularly known as "kesar" in the Indian subcontinent, it has been in use in many sweet dishes.
This article is meant only for the use of education and information. It is not in any way recommended for substituting prescription drugs or expert medical guidance. We are not professionals in healthcare and this information is shared purely based on the interest of spreading the fragrance of Ayurvedic healing, the world’s oldest medical system on earth. Talk with your Ayurvedic practitioner/ healthcare expert before selecting the most suitable herbal powders for your prakriti or unique individual constitution and state of health.