July 25, 2018
ASHWAGANDHA POWDER- “A RASAYANA OR REJUVENATE”
“Rasayana” in Sanskrit literally means “path” (ayana) of the “rasa” (fluid or juice) and rejuvenate means look or feel better, younger, or more vital. In Ayurveda, Ashwagandha is known as the “Sattvic Kapha Rasayana”because of the properties of slowing the aging process, increase longevity and increase both mental and physical strength. Ashwagandha has been used for natural cures and home remedies for more than 4000 years in India and is considered to be one of the best rejuvenating agents in Ayurveda.In Sanskrit, Ashwagandha literally means ‘horse smell’ as it carries a pungent odor similar to that of a sweaty horse. Ashwagandha root is a darling adaptogen herb. It is well known as the 'ginseng' of Ayurvedic pharmaceutical, the customary prescription of India and used to depict herbs that enhance physical vitality and athletic capacity, increment resistance to colds and contaminations and increment sexual limit and fruitfulness.
Botanically name- Ashwagandha is known as Withania somnifera and popularly known as Indian Ginseng or Winter Cherry.
Sanskrit names – Ashwagandha, Balada, Kamrupini, Gandhpatri ,Vajini.
Family – Solanaceae
Plant parts used – Whole plant parts
Other names given to Ashwagandha powder by different regions –
Arabic name: KaknajeHindee, Simm al-faraakh
Hindi/ Punjabi/ Bengali name: Ashwagandha
Persian name: Bari Behman
Urdu name: AsgandNagori
Chinese name: Cui mianshuiqie
English name: Winter Cherry, Indian Ginseng
German name: Schlafbeere
Gujarati name: Asan, Asoda, Asgandha, Asundha, Ghodakun
Kannada name: Hiremaddinegida, Kiremallinagida, Asvagandhi, Angarberu
Kashmiri name: Asgandh
Marathi name: Asagandha, Askagandha, Askandha
Morphology of Ashwagandha powder-
Ashwagandha plant is a small shrub with yellow- greenish flowers which grow up to 35-45 cm in height,leaves are simple, alternate or sub opposite and ovate, up to 10 cm long,roots are stout, long tuberous, fleshy, whitish brown and aromatic and fruit of this plant is a red berries enclosed in a green enlarged calyx. An active ingredient of Ashwagandha contains steroidal alkaloids as somiferine, somnine, somifernine, anferine, withanloids. It also contains flavonoids, lactones, acyl-sterylglucosides, iron, potassium and other numerous substances.The roots and leaves are the useful parts of the plant. Ashwagandha powder is derived from the dried roots and leaves of the Ashwagandha plant which is grinded to a semi fine texture to produce the powdered form.Often taken with either milk or ghee, ashwagandha can be taken in tea form, as a pill or capsule, a tincture or taken as a whole, raw herb.
Ashwagandha is a plant medicine that has been used as far back as ancient Mesopotamia for its medicinal and narcotic properties. In ancient Egypt, Ashwagandha particularly use in order to invoke sleep. In Africa, traditional uses of Ashwagandha among tribal peoples include fevers and inflammatory conditions. In Yemen, the dried leaves are ground into a paste that is used for treating burns and wounds, as well as for sunscreen. For external healing, the berries and leaves have been applied to tumors, tubercular glands, carbuncles, and ulcers. Indeed, Ashwagandha has become the backbone of many multi-ingredients Ayurvedic and other formulations that have been used for a wide assortment of ailments.
Ashwagandha powderswoops as a natural procedure of regulation in the human body with varied distinguishing rejuvenate properties-
1) Ashwagandha powder helps to slow down growth of several types of cancer cells. Use of this herb is good in the treatment of breast cancer, colon cancer, lung cancer, prostate cancer, leukemia and sarcoma. It is good to reduce the adverse effects of radiation and chemotherapy without interference with tumor cell killing activities. It helps to stop the angiogenesis – in which there is formation of new blood vessels that feed cancer. It also protects the normal cells from damage of conventional cancer therapy.
2) Ashwagandha powder is considered as nerve tonic and helps to calm the nervous system thus provides the relief in anxiety, stress, depression and various other mental disorders. It is good to treat the insomnia and sleeping disorders in people.
3) Ashwagandha powder helps to enhance the body’s stamina as it helps to balance the adrenal hormones which are involved in the physical activities. Because of this reason, use of Ashwagandha powder is quite good for athletes.
4) Ashwagandha powder is a loaded with antimicrobial activities which helps to increase the body’s immunity to fight against the foreign bacteria, viruses and fungal infections like respiratory tract infections, skin infections, gastrointestinal and urogenital infections. Thereby, strengthens the immune system.
5) Ashwagandha powder is known to be quite good to support the good heart heath due its cardiovascular properties. It helps to strengthen the heart muscles and maintain the healthy blood pressure and good cholesterol levels in body. Moreover Ashwagandha powder helps to dilate the vessels and maintain the proper blood flow in body.
6) Ashwagandha powders are also packed the anti-diabetic properties as its helps to maintain the good blood sugar levels.
7) Ashwagandha is loaded with phytochemical compounds like alkaloids, saponins and steroidal lactones which have anti-inflammatory properties and provide relief in all type of joint, muscles and various other body pains.
8) Ashwagandha powder provides strength to the hair and also improves the blood circulation in scalp.It also helps in production of melanin pigment which is responsible for hair color. It is also effective to get rid from dandruff.
9) Ashwagandha powder helps to improve the vitality and fertility and is quite beneficial to enhance sexual desire. In the case of men, it helps to improve the quality and production of semen. Whereas in case of women, it helps to balance the hormonal imbalances.
10) Ashwagandha powder is also packed with the antioxidant properties. It helps to neutralize free radicals which are produced during metabolism and is beneficial to manage the oxidative stress in body.
11) Ashwagandha powder helps in stimulation of DHEA which is an adrenal steroid hormone in the body and helps in the production of proteins which are helpful in maintaining the skin hydration, skin elasticity and collagen which are good for healthy skin.
12) Ashwagandha powder is useful in the production of blood cells and manages the problem of anemia.
13) Ashwagandha powder enhances the proliferation of lymphocytes, bone marrow cells and thyme cells.
With its rich history of mending, Ashwagandha powder and its therapeutic forces have been utilized and celebrated by societies around the globe for millennia.
Dr Harleen Kaur